Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Your Opinions, Please!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Question Your Opinions, Please!

    Hi folks,

    I'm wondering what kind of market there might be for custom-built cabinets for Altec speakers to be used in the home.

    These would be furniture-grade quality, available in a variety of veneers, and hand finished to the customer's specifications. Manufacturing would be held to strict tolerances, and hand-assembled on order.

    I'm thinking Stonehenge V-type enclosures for 604's, plus a special version of the same enclosure that will accommodate the parts from a Model 19.

    Another possibility might be a 6-cubic foot version of the SHV.

    I've talked with Bill about it - he said he gets inquiries about enclosures a lot.

    What are your thoughts on the market for them, price points, types of wood, etc.?

    My youngest son works in a cabinet shop and is looking to supplement his income so as to help support his young family (their first child is four months old), hence my interest.
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Your Opinions, Please!

    It sounds like a great idea, but I don't think I'd count on too many orders coming from this board. Most of us seem to be Do-it-yourselfers, or Do-with-outers. That's not to say money can't be made taking on such a project.

    As far as types of wood...... lots of people get into all those African woods, like Zebra. I like good ole Walnut myself.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Your Opinions, Please!

    Yeah, I know most here are DIYer's - but I respect their insight.

    I really like the 1/4-sawn oak or red oak myself.

    Cherry is pretty too, if you do it right.

    Bill's offered to let me set up a link to a website I'd build for my son - that may prove to be very helpful.

    THANKS!
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Your Opinions, Please!

    Todd..i really do believe that professional cabinet builders could get much better results in the waf catagory. also, there are some really beautiful designs out there. i really like the horn enclosures in the thread concering 414's and 811's.
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Your Opinions, Please!

    Well, I've actually been able to sell SH V's because the wife thought they were nice looking...if that's what you mean by WAF...

    He is a professional cabinet maker - and he does nice work.

    His dad is a pretty good amateur with many years experience in speaker cabinet design and construction, so he's not too averse to having help from his old man...
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Your Opinions, Please!

    Personally, I don't see much of a market beyond Bill's queries, so unless he's willing to direct customers to your son.........

    That said, 846B, M19, Onken and Magnificent style cabs are perrenial faves and a flat pack kit with maybe any horn sections preassembled made from whatever wood a customer prefers (priced accordingly) may be viable products as well as a few finished ones if shipping costs don't make them deal breakers.

    HT is where it's at these days though, so compact as practical monitors designed to mate to 80 Hz XO'd sub systems may be viable flat pack and finsished products., not to mention matching sub systems.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Your Opinions, Please!

    I've thought about precut kits for some of these cabinets myself, as well - not a bad idea for someone who has the ability but not the time or inkling to buy the materials, cut them correctly, etc., - all they'd have to do is assemble and go.

    Still think nothing sounds as good a a big speaker (of the correct type) in a big enclosure (of the correct type and tuning) - beats the heck out of the best little speakers in my ears hands down.

    Yes, with Bill's referral's, it might be a good idea...
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  8. #8
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Your Opinions, Please!

    Wow, I'm still having trouble accepting that either of those 2 polite young men I met at the GPAFest awhile back could be old enough to be family men now... how could they have gotten older? I haven't...

    I think the biggest obstacle might be shipping, or more specifically, the $ it adds to the total price. Parts Express offers a selection of cabs, but they seem to top out at less than 1 cu ft. Don't know if that's because that's what sells, or because no one will pony up for shipping anything bigger.

    Whatever the result, I wish him the best!

    (add another vote for red oak)
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Your Opinions, Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd W. White View Post
    I've thought about precut kits........

    Still think nothing sounds as good a a big speaker.........
    FWIW, on every DIY forum I've browsed where this discussion arises, ready to finish flat packs are what the majority claim to want and while they all never back it up with purchases, there's usually enough sales to justify the effort, especially if the driver, etc. is part of the package, though typically these have to be passed on at ~ the same price as the end user can get them for, so no extra profit margin unless they can be bought cheaper in bulk.

    Agreed, but unfortunately many folks don't want the bulk plus a HIFI/HT monitor with a ~ 80 Hz usable BW is preferable if a separate sub system is used.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.